Our firm is comprised of dedicated professionals who share responsibility for taking care of our clients. We strive to obtain and retain the most talented and conscientious staff members. In addition to our expectation that our attorneys achieve the highest level of commitment to our clients and the legal profession, we also encourage them to become part of, and contribute to, the larger community.
Shane W. Surrette, Esq.
Attorney Shane W. Surrette was born and raised in Worcester County and has been practicing law since 2003. Attorney Surrette has handled thousands of crminal cases and has tried several hundred jury trials.
After graduating from UMass-Amherst in 2000 with Honors, Attorney Surrette attended the New England School of Law in Boston, MA, where he graduated with Honors in the top 7.5 percent of his class.
Upon graduating from law school, Attorney Surrette prosecuted thousands of cases for the Middle District Attorney’s Office for several years in the District, Juvenile and Superior Court.
After deciding that he could use his talents to help those accused of crimes, Attorney Surrette started a practice where he focuses as a leader in the field of criminal defense. Attorney Surrette specializes in defending criminal accusations, and he understands that each client of his is an individual and needs individualized representation depending on goals and expectations. Using his legal skill and knowledge of both sides of a criminal procecution, Attorney Surrette guides his clients through the process so they understand each step.
Shane Surrette is an experienced criminal lawyer with extensive trial experience. If you have been charged with a crime, call for your free consultation today.
While attending New England School of Law in Boston, Attorney Surrette graduated cum laude after having finished in the top 7.5 percent of his class. Attorney Surrette also received New England Scholar Awards from 2001-2003, given to students finishing in the top 10 percent of their respective class in a given year. Attorney Surrette further achieved the CALI award for receiving the highest grade in a class of over 150 students, studying Personal Income Taxation.
Bar and Court Admissions
Attorney Surrette is admitted to the Massachusetts Bar and the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
J.D., New England School of Law, 2003 (cum laude)
B.A. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2000 (cum laude)
Worcester Superior Court
- Continuance Without a Finding for Leicester man charged with 126 Counts of Vandalizing Property on Docket No: WOCR2014-0453.
- Dismissal on Conspiracy to Traffick in Cocaine Indictmet against Worcester female on Docket No: WOCR2012-0996.
- Not Guilty jury verdict on Docket No: WOCR2012-01246 for Worcester man on Attempted Murder, Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon and Witness Intimidation case.
- Armed Robbery case Dismissed in Worcester Superior Court on Docket No: WOCR2012-01246.
Webster man found Not Guilty of Unarmed Robbery on a Person over 60, as well as Assault and Battery Causing Bodily Injury on a Person over 60, after three day jury trial on Docket No: WOCR2012-00160.
- Worcester man found Not Guilty after jury trial of possession of firearm, and possession of firearm during the course of a felony on Docket No: WOCR2012-0629.
- Probation for Worcester man on Home invasion charge, Docket No: WOCR2012-0629.
- Armed Career Criminal Sentence Enhancement Dismissed for Fitchburg man Indicted for Possession of a Sawed-Off Shotgun in Docket No: WOCR2013-01139.
- Defending several cases involving police initiated phone wiretaps.
Essex Superior Court
- Home Invasion, Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon, and Burglary with an Assault on an Occupant Counts of an Indictment Dismissed after Hearing on a Motion to Dismiss, under Docket No: ESCR2012-0177.
Worcester District Court
- Dismissal for Sprinfield man charged with Indecent Assault and Battery on Docket No: 1362CR00735.
- Not Guilty Jury Verdict for Shrewsbury man charged with with Indecent Assault and Battery, and Assault and Battery.
- Case Dismissed against a Worcester man charged with Aggravated Assault and Battery against his girlfriend.
- Worcester man found Not Guilty on an OUI-2d Offense after jury trial. Allegations included the male being involved in a motor vehicle accident, where his vehicle struck and subsequently split a light pole causing his vehicle to be totaled.
- Worcester female acquitted after jury trial on a charge of Assault and Battery with A Dangerous Weapon. The case involved allegations of the client running over another female with a motor vehicle, causing significant injury.
- Worcester man found Not Guilty of Assault and Battery on a Police Officer, Resisting Arrest, and Disorderly Conduct. After a jury trial that included the testimony of three police officers, the client was acquitted on all counts. If convicted, a jail sentence would have been imposed.
- Not Guilty Jury Verdict for a Worcester man charged with Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon. The case involved allegations of the client throwing a lit cigarette at a female in an alleged road rage incident. If found guilty the male would have been incarcerated.
- Attained Not Guilty findings for a 19 year old client charged with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, Assault and Battery, and Threatening to Commit a Crime. The case involved allegations of the use of a knife, and if found guilty the young man would have faced incarceration and potential deportation proceedings.
- Narcotics case Dismissed against a Worcester man charged with Possession to Distribute Class A+B drugs, as well as a School Zone Violation, and Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws. Had the case not been dismissed pursuant to a Motion highlighting an improper search warrant application, the client would have faced several years in jail.
- Case Dismissed against a Worcester man charged with Assault and Battery and Intimidation of a Witness against his former girlfriend. Had the client been convicted after trial, he would have faced a lengthy jail sentence.
- Kept an individual out of jail after a violation of probation hearing, where the client had seven previous restraining orders against him, and three prior probation violations. The client was on probation for Assault and Battery and Threatening to Commit a Crime of violence against his ex-girlfriend. The allegations of violation were against the same alleged victim, and after hearing the client was Re-Probated.
- Advocated for and achieved a Dismissal prior to Arraignment for a 23 year old male charged with Shoplifting. Since the matter was dismissed at the preliminary hearing prior to Arraignment, the allegation will never show up on the young man’s criminal record.
- Gained a Dismissal for a young male charged with Knowingly Being Present Where Heroin is Kept. If convicted of the allegation the male would have gone to jail.
Leominster District Court
- Argued for and achieved the Reversal of a Felony Conviction for a man who received the conviction in the early 1980’s. The conviction was preventing the gentleman from obtaining a Firearm License.
Westborough District Court
- Domestic Assault and Battery case between husband and wife Dismissed. The allegations involved the husband punching and holding the wife against her will. A conviction would have significantly impacted the client’s future job opportunities.
Belchertown District Court
- Jury trial on Aggravated Assault and Battery case involving a fight on the streets of Amherst, near the campus of the University of Massachusetts. After deliberating for several hours the jury returned a verdict on a lesser offense.
- Representing a 63 year old man in Re-Classification Proceedings before the Sex Offender Registry Board.
- Represented male from Western part of state at Sex Offender Registry Classification Hearing held before the Sex Offender Registry Board. Client’s classification reduced after hearing from a level 3 to a level 2 classification.
- Presented case of a male being detained at the Mass. Treatment Center to the Sex Offender Registry Board, at his Classification Hearing.
- Represent a male in a sexually dangerous person proceeding that is going to jury trial in Suffolk Superior Court.
Prior Experience as an Assistant District Attorney
Worcester Superior Court
Successfully tried a Worcester case where the Defendant was indicted for Possession with Intent to Distribute Cocaine within a School Zone, Subsequent Offense; worked on Narcotics Cases from Arraignment to Disposition, involving an individual charged in two separate indictments with Distribution of Cocaine to an undercover officer; presented to Grand Jury and subsequently resolved a case involving two individuals for a repeated series of car breaks and motor vehicle thefts out of the towns of Shrewsbury and Westborough; aided in investigation, and presented to the grand jury and prepared for trial a matter out of Winchendon where the Defendant was charged with Motor Vehicle Homicide by OUI and Negligent Operation; successfully handled Armed Robbery, Career Criminal Prosecution originating out of Fitchburg; prosecuted an individual for assaulting a Worcester Police Officer with a motor vehicle, where the individual was subsequently found to be in possession of cocaine.
Worcester District Court
- Motor Vehicle Unit
Responsible for over 2,000 motor vehicle related cases out of Worcester, Auburn, and Millbury; cases included Thefts of Motor Vehicles, and Operating Under the Influence offenses; responsible for daily victim contact and all clerical tasks associated with these cases; thorough decision-making; researching and writing briefs.
- Larceny, Drug, and Gun Prosecutor
Prosecuted Larceny, Drug and Gun cases; negotiated hearings on Motions to Suppress; conducted Probable Cause Hearings to bind cases over to Superior Court; responsible for close contact with the police.
- Domestic Violence Unit
One-half of the Domestic Violence Unit in Worcester; handled all aspects of the prosecution of over one-hundred domestic cases arising out of the towns of Worcester, Auburn, and Millbury; assisted victims with seeking alternative living arrangements; conducted Jury Trials, and Bench Trials.
- Jury Session
Engaged in District Court Jury and Bench Trials on such matters as Operating Under the Influence offenses, Assault and Battery cases, Breaking and entering charges, and Controlled Substance violations; worked on all aspects of a Motor Vehicle Homicide through its conclusion.
Fitchburg District Court
Juvenile Court Prosecutor
In charge of all aspects of the prosecution for juvenile court crimes arising out of Fitchburg, Lunenburg, Winchendon, Gardner, Templeton, Royalston; handled over 250 cases; worked closely with victims; and handled Youthful Offender matters, such as Home Invasions, when indictments were returned in Superior Court.
Western Worcester District Court
- Jury Session
Performed Trials on OUI’s, Assault & Battery cases, and all matters within the jurisdiction of the Western Worcester District Court; worked on a matter in the preliminary stages involving Motor Vehicle Homicide by Negligent Operation; prepared, reviewed and resolved cases where the Defendants’ were charged with Motor Vehicle Homicide by OUI and Negligent Operation, with one case having an additional charge of OUI and Negligent Operation causing Serious Bodily Injury.
- District Court Session
Conducted Motions to Suppress, Probable Cause Hearings, and negotiated resolutions on District Court cases; advised the police on how to conduct thorough and efficient police investigations in order to bring charges forward to support convictions.
Westborough District Court
- Jury Session
Conducted Trials on cases out of the towns of Northborough, Southborough, Westborough, and Shrewsbury; tried and got a conviction on a case where two loaded firearms were recovered from a Defendant in a motor vehicle on a major roadway; handled from start to finish a case involving an Indecent Assault and Battery on a state employee by a co-worker, during their normal work hours.
Motor Vehicle Homicide Response Unit
Previously on call for one full week per month in the advisement of police departments within the jurisdiction of the Middle District, regarding Motor Vehicle Homicide Offenses; responded to scenes of such homicides to ascertain that proper procedure was followed, and proper charges were brought.