- probation for not more than 2 years for dui Massachusetts;
- assignment to a driver alcohol education awareness program (usually sixteen weeks, one night per week), as a condition of probation;
- $600 in fees and fines payable to the court;
- $65 dollars per month in supervised probation fees;
- 45-90 day license loss; 210 day license loss if driver under 21; and
- ability to obtain a hardship license upon proper showing of need for education or employment purposes (hardship license is effective for 12 hour periods, and is typically available within 3 business days of a disposition with a monetary down-payment of around $400).
If convicted and not sentenced under M.G.L. c. 90 s. 24D, the potential penalty includes:
- up to 2.5 years to the House of Correction and/or not less that $500 nor more than $5,000 in fines for dui Massachusetts; and
- a 1 year loss of license, with a hardship license available after 3 months. (Note: the 3 month period is in addition to any time still remaining on the license revocation due to a breathalyzer test refusal).
Furthermore, if you take the breathalyzer test and fail (meaning anything over a .08) you will lose your license for 30 days at the outset for dui massachusetts. If you refuse the breathalyzer test on a first offense dui Massachusetts, you will lose your license for 6 months at the outset. If you are 18-21 years old and blow .02 or greater, in addition to the 30 day license loss there is an additional 180 day loss. Also, if you are 18-21 and refuse the breathalyzer test, you will lose your license for 3 years plus an additional youth alcohol program suspension for dui massachusetts. (Note that if a 24D disposition is imposed or elected for an individual 21 or older, the ability to obtain a hardship license can be achieved even though the 6 month period has not been served). It helps to have a Massachusetts drunk driving attorney to provide you with advice.
The above license concerns are further enhanced if you have a commercial driver’s license for dui massachusetts. For example, there is no hardship relief available for a chemical test refusal suspension relative to a commercial driver’s license. Additionally, there is a 1 year commercial driver’s license loss for a chemical test refusal on a first offense dui Massachusetts, and an additional 1 year commercial license loss upon conviction or assignment to the 24D program. An experienced Mass dui lawyer can help your chances of beating the charges.
Call an experienced Massachusetts drunk driving attorney today.